Tuesday, December 2, 2008

'Manny means business'

Reader's Digest December 2008 issue with Manny Paquiao on its cover has 3 beautiful pictures of Manny inside. But if you have followed Manny for quite a while, and you bought the magazine expecting an in depth read about Manny, you will be disappointed because the article (where I get my title) tells what has been told about Manny over and over again. The article however reveals some details that I have only known until then, like:
1. That at the age of 12, he boxed on Sundays to earn fifty pesos;
2. That at the age of 15 he worked in a tailoring shop in Manila and trained from 5 pm; also he knows how to sew a shirt;
3. That he worked in a construction as a welder and painter, and on Sundays sell flowers in front of a church;
4. He obtained his license as a professional boxer by lying to the Games and Amusement Board that he was already 18 when in fact, he was only 16;
5. He still wants to become a congressman because people "idolize me in boxing. I want them to idolise me in terms of public service";
6. He thinks what the country needs most now are politicians "with big hearts to help the people who are suffering";
7. He takes up Business Management (in Notre Dame of Dadiangas University) because he wants his money to be in proper investments, and he wants to manage his money when he is no longer in boxing;
8. His favorite subject is philosophy and algebra--"which is very hard";
9. His plan for his children is for them to be a doctor or lawyer. "That's what we need in our lives, more doctors and lawyers". I was not sure though if he was referring to his family life or the Filipinos as a whole when he said "our lives."

I am afraid Manny is suffering from post traumatic stress. He can not get over knocking out people in the ring, he wants to knock out his opponents in politics and become a congressman. He knocked out Barerra, Morales, and Diaz. Now he is after Dela Hoya and plans to go after Ricky Hatton and hopefully Floyd Mayweather. After the House of Representatives, he will go after the senate, then vice-president, and hopefully, the president seats. He has a big heart that is why he believes he can become a congressman to punch suffering out once and for all. How? He does not say anything.

I can not comment any further except that I can not wait for December 6 (December 7 in Manila) to watch him fight Dela Hoya. I expect a knock-out from any of them, otherwise I will be very, very disappointed. I do not care in what round the knock-out will happen as long as it happens. Of course, I want Manny to win. Manny is the only reason why I read the sports page of our news paper everyday. If there is no article about Manny there, it is like there is no sports news.

I hope he knocks not only Oscar dela Hoya, but also Ricky Hatton and Floyd Mayweather. Hell, I want him to knock-out every one in the ring. I mean, every one without exception, small or big foe alike. And I want him to become really, really rich. He is very generous anyway. But I do not want him to become a politician. Not now. Not until I hear him speak like Barack Obama.

No comments:

Post a Comment